On Friday May 16, we hosted an event focused on providing information about government benefits tailored specifically for seniors. We delved into the world of resources, programs, and support available to enhance the lives of our seniors. From retirement benefits and healthcare assistance to housing options and social security insights, we explored a wide range of topics that are crucial for seniors to navigate their journey with confidence and peace of mind. The event fostered an environment of knowledge sharing and empowerment, equipping our seniors with the tools they need to make informed decisions and access the support they deserve. A heartfelt thanks to Indica and Rashun for coming to present about government benefits to us. Thank you to all the attendees who made this event a success. We look forward to seeing you next time!


Here are some questions asked during the session, and the answers:

Question Answer
What is the number to be called from outside Canada? The number varies depending on the country of residence. Not every country has an international number though. So for example, if an individual is calling from Jamaica, the number would be: 1-800-622-6232
Is CPP to be payable to the people not working in life? CPP Retirement is not payable unless you worked and contributed. CPP Survivor, Death, and Children’s benefit can possibly be paid to somebody who has not worked. If the deceased contributor paid enough into the program, then the surviving spouse and/or children may receive payments.
What is the amount of CPP that gets paid? The amount you receive varies. It all depends on your age when you applied and how much contributions you made over the years.
What happens to the EI amount? Does that come back to us when we retire? Employment Insurance (EI) provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own. EI special benefits are there to provide temporary financial assistance in specific circumstances.
Is there any minimum years limit to work in Canada to avail CPP? You may be eligible if you have made at least one valid contribution to the CPP. There is no minimum years limit.
If our kids are grown up, CPP contributions will not be paid to our kids if something happens to both parents. Does it mean all our hard earned contributions will be of no use? CPP benefits may not be paid directly to grown-up children if both parents pass away. However, if the deceased contributor paid enough into the program, the surviving spouse and/or children may receive payments.
If the contributor of CPP passes away but has not requested for withdrawals, will the surviving spouse get paid? What percentage will be paid in such cases? If the deceased contributor has made valid contributions, the surviving spouse may receive a survivor’s pension. The percentage and amount vary based on the age of the surviving spouse. If the surviving spouse is over 65 then they would receive up to 60% of the contributors retirement pension . If the survivor is under 65 they would receive a flat rate portion and 37.5% of the contributor’s retirement pension, if you are not receiving other CPP benefits.
When a dependent parent above age 65 arrives on PR, what are the benefits for such a person? If a dependent parent above the age of 65 arrives on Permanent Residency (PR) in Canada, they may be eligible for Old Age Security (OAS) benefits after residing in the country for 10 years.
Is RRIF transferrable to the surviving partner? In some cases, the Registered Retirement Income Fund (RRIF) can be transferred to the surviving spouse or common-law partner.
What is the point of contributing to EI? Employment Insurance (EI) provides regular benefits to individuals who lose their jobs through no fault of their own and provides temporary financial assistance in the event you need time away from work.



Here are the important links mentioned in the conversation:

Accessing Service Canada Services: https://www.canada.ca/en.html

  • Call: 1-800-O-CANADA (1-800-622-6232) or TTY:1-800-926-9105

Service Canada Services Portal: https://sr-ds.powerappsportals.com/en/service/

Canada.ca official website: https://www.canada.ca/en.html

Additionally, here are some other useful links mentioned during the conversation:

Guaranteed Income Supplement: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/guaranteed-income-supplement.html

Old Age Security- Allowance: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/old-age-security/guaranteed-income-supplement/allowance.html

International Social Security Agreements: https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/canada-pension-plan-cpp-employment-insurance-ei-rulings/international-social-security-agreements-canada-pension-plan/what-purpose-international-social-security-agreements.html

Benefits Finder Tool: https://benefitsfinder.services.gc.ca/hm?GoCTemplateCulture=en-CA

Government of Canada contact information: www.canada.ca/en/contact.html

Housing-Related Programs contact: 1-800-668-2642